THE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE CONSOLACIÓN SANCTUARY is undoubtedly one of Utrera’s most emblematic sites, which bears witness to a wealth of age-old pilgrimages and festivities. Thirteenth-century SANTIAGO EL MAYOR PARISH CHURCH, adjacent to SANTA RESURRECCIÓN HOSPITAL and Gothic SANTA MARÍA DE LA MESA CHURCH are also noteworthy, the latter especially so, as its slender tower is the tallest in the town. The Mudejar coffered ceiling of the CARMELITES CONVENT and the elliptical floor plan of LOS DOLORES CHURCH are also admired architectural features. The most outstanding pieces of civil architecture are the MARQUÉS DE TOUS HOUSE, ENRIQUE DE LA CUADRA THEATRE, THE ‘EL NIÑO PERDIDO’ PASSAGEWAY in the ancient Jewish neighbourhood, and the TOWN HALL’S remarkable historicist rooms.
Enrique de la Cuadra built the theatre in 1887, hence its current name. Utrera’s town council acquired the property in June 1985 and it became part of the Public Theatre rehabilitation programme ran by the Andalusian government’s Public and Cultural Works department. The architect Juan Ruesga Navarro was commissioned to undertake the renovation. Works were completed in 1993 and the theatre opened its doors to the public with one of the widest stages in Andalusia. It has an Italian horseshoe-shaped auditorium and a well-proportioned stage, which along with its other facilities, results in a lively space that promotes artistic and cultural activities in the town.
C/ Sevilla, s/n. Utrera,Utrera
Enrique de la Cuadra Theatre
Despite the square’s recent renovation, some of the neighbouring buildings preserve 17th- and 18th-century elements. In the past, Plaza del Altozano was the epicentre for the town’s cultural events, such as famous bullfights and the passing of religious processions (very much like today). Given their privileged position and unbeatable views over the square, the surrounding properties are sought after and their balconies are used as private boxes during the town’s festivities.
plaza del altozano, Utrera
Plaza del Altozano
Construction of the former palace, which once belonged to the Valdehermosa counts and San Marcial marquises, began in the 17th century and considerable works were carried out in the 18th and 19th centuries. Its rococo portal dates to 1730. The Romance and historicist halls within the building are remarkable. In 1877, Enrique de la Cuadra took on the property and filled the rooms with luxury and extravagance. He created the Arabian hall, an architectural treasure with yeseria and stucco that transports visitors to the Far East. Other uniquely beautiful rooms are the Pompeian hall, once used as a summer dining room, the German hall, adorned with the finest woods from the Americas, and the Chinese hall, which served as a ballroom. Utrera’s town council currently occupies this property.
Plaza de Gibaxa, 1. Utrera,Utrera
Town Hall: Former Vistahermosa Palace
This 18th-century Palace House is located on calle Rodrigo Caro in one of the town’s most picturesque settings. It has served as the town’s art centre since 1990. The façade consists of avitolado brickwork -characteristic of Seville’s Baroque- and is supported by large pilasters. The portal shelters under an impressive arch, flanked by columns at its base and estipites on the top tier. It is believed to date to 1725.
C/ Rodrigo Caro, 3. Utrera,Utrera
Casa de la Cultura Arts Centre
This landmark comprises a gateway, which once cut through the ancient Jewish quarter walls, and a street. The town’s main trading area once concentrated around this small spot, which later became a hospital. Some of the town’s historians hypothesize that this site became a house for foundlings, which is when it is believed to have taken on the name “El Niño Perdido” (the lost child). The town’s archaeological studies suggest that the passageway also served as a cemetery. Private houses and restaurants now currently occupy this area.
C/ Niño Perdido, Utrera,Utrera
El Niño Perdido Passageway
Construction of the church began in some of the houses donated by the Álvarez family. While the works were undertaken, the hospital housed the Virgin Mary sculpture, which was transferred to the completed church in 1747. The Sisters of the Holy Cross congregation currently occupies the church. Since the beginning of the century, the nuns have used the church for public worship, reserving a small oratory for private use. The church has an elliptical floor plan and is a rare and wonderful example of Sevillian Baroque, displayed through its architectural structure rather than highly decorative elements.
san fernando, 33, Utrera
Ntra. Sra. de los Dolores Church
The brotherhood built the chapel at the start of the 18th century (between 1719 and 1723) with the objective of displaying its sculptures for public worship. The chapel’s exterior displays a portal flanked by pilasters, surmounted by a broken entablature, straight pediment and tympanum, decorated with the Trinitarian shield. A belfry sits above it, comprising two sections, which decrease in size: the lower section has a slim opening and a lintel and straight pediment frame the upper section. The church has one single nave with a sacristy behind the main altar. Different types of roofing cover the various sections. The main retablo’s features are typical of the late 17th century and was acquired from the Friars Minor of Seville in the 18th century.
C/ Cristo de los Afligidos, 36,Utrera
Santísima Trinidad Chapel
Locals refer to the chapel as “the Jesús de Nazareno chapel”, which is part of the San Bartolomé Dominican convent. Bartolomé López de Marchena ordered and paid for its foundation in 1542 for the strengthening of the body and spirit. The chapel was built in the 17th century and important alterations were carried out in the second half of the 18th century. The portal’s design is a simple, lintel-based structure, which displays a frontispiece, flanked by pilasters and surmounted by a pediment that frames a tiled picture of the Nazarene. The portal provides access to a small church with a single rectangular nave covered by a barrel vault with lunettes and supporting arches, which sit upon a dentilled cornice. The Jesus Christ the Nazarene sculpture corresponds to the Seville school’s classic style of the late 16th century.
Av. San Juan Bosco, 10,Utrera
San Bartolomé Chapel
The chapel is part of the Salesian College, the oldest belonging to the congregation in Spain (circa 1885). The Salesian building housed within the chapel is noteworthy given its breadth, which stretches across the wide, expansive street, locally known as La Vereda. Although the building’s loftiness is horizontal, a series of belfries were added to bring it closer to the heavens. The chapel was built in the second half of the 17th century. It has a Latin-cross floor plan and a barrel vault ceiling, lunettes and supporting arches propped up by a cornice. Exceptional paintings decorate the chapel’s interior, which pertain to the transition from the 17th to the 18th century: the apogee of the Seville school of mural painting.
Av. San Juan Bosco, 13. Utrera,Utrera
Ntra. Sra. del Carmen Chapel
The Jesuits built the church in 1645 and the Franciscans occupied it from 1797. During the Franciscan period, the complex underwent considerable renovations to adapt to the material and spiritual needs imposed by the Order. The church was abandoned from the second half of the 19th century until the 1920s. The nave’s architecture displays influence from the Early Renaissance, typical of Hernán Ruiz. Beautiful mid-18th century paintings decorate the church and its most striking feature is the dome, which displays a tremendous vision of the resurrection of Saint Francis.
C/ Virgen de Consolación, 1. Utrera,Utrera
San Francisco Church
A fortified wall once surrounded Utrera, which had several gateways into the citadel. Many of them did not survive until the present day, while others are now small archaeological remains. The best preserved is undoubtedly the Arco de la Villa arch, which continues to represent the end of Utrera’s historic centre and the start of the town’s surrounding neighbourhoods.
Final Calle San Fernando, Utrera
Arco de la Villa Arch
The castle is located in the north-east of the town. It sits atop a small hill, and is very close to the Santiago el Mayor parish church. Seville council built the castle over the remains of an ancient Moorish minaret. Alfonso X (the Wise) cited the castle in 1264. In 1368, it was destroyed by Muhammed V of Granada and was later rebuilt at the end of the 14th century. It was abandoned at the end of the 15th century until the present day, and has recently been restored. Its floor plan is rectangular, fitting the topography of the hill at the north-east and south-east of the castle. It has four square towers, which are smaller at the corners on the inside of the walled precinct. Each has a rectangular floor plan and are wider at the north-eastern and south-eastern sides where they adapt to the escarpment. The outer towers and curtain walls were built using the rammed-earth technique. The difference in design could be because the external towers would have acted as buttresses as some have fully collapsed. On the escarped north-east face stands a round-arch opening entrance, defended by the Torre del Homenaje tower, an edifice with a […]
C/ Ponce de León, 13, Utrera,Utrera
Catalina de Perea founded the hospital in 1514, in one of her properties close to the Santiago church. Although its origins date back to the 16th century, the building underwent extensive restoration between the 18th and 20th centuries. In addition to its beautiful church, the hospital’s central patios are remarkable. The entrance to the patio displays a two-storey arcade; the lower level is the older of the two with 16th-century Mudejar pillars. This open area displays wonderful carpentry on the doors and the screen that leads to the dining room. The latter was created in the 18th century and would have featured wonderful panels, rocailles and Jesuit emblems, which are no longer present. The Dormitorios de Ancianos, or the Elders’ Rooms, are also notable and comprise a lofty, barrel-vaulted nave with false lunettes.
C/ Ponce de León, 2, Utrera
Santa Resurrección Hospital
Its origin dates back to 1578, with the foundation created by Francisco Álvarez de Bohórquez and his wife Catalina de Coria y Maldonado, on the condition that they accepted 12 nuns without dowries, who were blood relatives of theirs. It currently houses a community of cloistered Carmelite nuns. The architectural site dates back to the 16th century, although it subsequently underwent continual alterations. The inside of the single-naved church follows the typical model of the cloistered convents of the province, reminiscent of Medieval times. At the foot of the temple, in the last section reserved for the cloister, there is a double chancel. The altarpieces and the Main altar from the mid-18th century stand out, gilded with overlapping vegetation, even on the pilasters that separate the three aisles that form it. In their bakery, they make their specialities of homemade sponge cakes, of almonds and sultanas, which are for sale at their turntable.
C/ Ponce de León, 13,Utrera
Convento Madres Carmelitas (Convent)
The sanctuary is an artistic and historic monument located outside the town centre. It is accessed via a wide path, surrounded by the Parque de Consolación park. The sanctuary is the final destination for many of the town’s pilgrimages and houses the beautiful sculpture of Our Lady of Consolation, Utrera’s patron. It formed part of a Minim Friars convent, which was founded at the end of the 16th century. However, much of the current church’s structure is 17th century and it was completed in 1714. Although the church’s interior displays a Neo-Mudejar style, partly due to its artesonado ceilings’ characteristics, alternating Marian emblems and Christian legends feature, which extol the glory of the Virgin Mary. The sanctuary has one single nave with a crossing, rendered walls and pillar supports. The main chapel is square with a wooden artesonado ceiling, decorated with Mudejar interlace patterns. A large Baroque retablo, dedicated to the image of Our Lady of Consolation, covers the nave’s front.
Paseo de Consolación, 41710 Utrera,Utrera
The parish church is an artistic and historic monument, which lies in close proximity to Utrera’s castle and fortress. It is an edifice of staggering proportions and displays proof of the change in architectural styles over time. The current church is Gothic, pertaining to the late 18th century. Its model is very similar to the first churches built following the Conquest. It is clearly defensive in character, as observed through the arrow slits featured on the tower-façade and the thickness of its walls. It is a hall church, known artistically by the German name “Hallenkirche”. It has a uniform, rectangular floor plan, separated into three naves by vaulting shafts and covered with an extremely beautiful sexpartite vault or tiercerons of uniform elevations. The ribs of the vault rise from pillars in the centre and corbels at sides of the church. The naves were later completed with a Renaissance dome and Baroque and neoclassical chapels. The main façade, depressed and sheltered within a basket-handle arch, is on the west end of the church, from which the three-sectioned stone and brick tower sprouts.
ponce de leon, 13, Utrera
Santiago El Mayor Parish Church
The church is an artistic and historic monumental complex. It is the tallest building and most important church in the town. The church is of staggering proportions and is located in a magnificent setting among ancestral houses. The original construction is 15th-century Gothic, however important Renaissance-style renovations were subsequently added, the most noteworthy being those to the Puerta del Perdón, which is one of the most beautiful examples of this style in Andalusia.
C/ Antonio Maura, s/n,Utrera