The chapel is part of the Salesian College, the oldest belonging to the congregation in Spain (circa 1885). The Salesian building housed within the chapel is noteworthy given its breadth, which stretches across the wide, expansive street, locally known as La Vereda. Although the building’s loftiness is horizontal, a series of belfries were added to bring it closer to the heavens. The chapel was built in the second half of the 17th century. It has a Latin-cross floor plan and a barrel vault ceiling, lunettes and supporting arches propped up by a cornice. Exceptional paintings decorate the chapel’s interior, which pertain to the transition from the 17th to the 18th century: the apogee of the Seville school of mural painting.
Ntra. Sra. del Carmen Chapel