Convento Madres Carmelitas
Tiene su origen en 1578 por la fundación que hicieron don Francisco Álvarez de Bohórquez y su esposa Catalina de Coria y Maldonado, a condición de que aceptaran a 12 monjas sin dotes, ligadas por parentesco a ellos. Alberga actualmente una comunidad de monjas Carmelitas en régimen de clausura calzado. El conjunto arquitectónico se remonta al siglo XVI, aunque sufre posteriormente continuas reformas. El interior de la Iglesia, de nave única sigue el modelo típico de los conventos de clausura de la provincia, de reminiscencia medieval. A los pies del templo, en su último tramo reservado a la clausura, cuenta con un doble coro. Destacan en el conjunto sus retablos y el altar Mayor de mediados del siglo XVIII, dorado con elementos vegetales superpuestos incluso sobre los estípites que separa las tres calles que lo forman. En su obrador elaboran sus especialidades de bizcocho casero, almendrados y sultanas, que están a la venta a través de su torno.
C/ Ponce de León, 13,Utrera
Lucena’s Jewish necropolis is one of the most important in Spain. Three hundred and seventy-four tombs were uncovered, which had adapted to the land’s topography. The burial ritual used was that of inhumation in a single or double pit, sometimes with a niche or side cavern covered with flat stones or Roman tiles.The remains indicate a late medieval period between the years 1000 and 1050, which coincide with Jewish Lucena’s time of zenith. This 11th century cemetery was discovered when building the Ronda Sur stretch of road in the town, between the Calvario and the road that goes to the Sanctuary of Nuestra Señora de Araceli.One hundred and sixteen tombs were preserved to an optimal condition, thanks to the recovery works carried out on the necropolis.Even a gravestone with Hebrew characters was unearthed, thought to be from between the 8th and 9th centuries, given the type of lettering, as analysed Jordi Casonotas, Doctor in Semitic Philology.
ctra. santuario virgen de araceli, lucena
Almazara Florencio Aguilera
Aceites Florencio Aguilera, empresa familiar dedicada a la producción de aceites de alta calidad y que apuesta por el aceite temprano de variedad picual. Su almazara familiar se encuentra en la aldea La Hortichuela, a 12 km. de Alcalá la Real, en el pequeño municipio de Pilas de Fuente Soto. Se trata de un enclave en plena naturaleza, rodeada de un bosque de olivos y donde habitan familias tradicionalmente dedicadas al cultivo de los frutos de la tierra y la ganadería. Es aquí donde se encuentra el corazón de Aceites Florencio Aguilera. Ofrecen visitas a sus instalaciones y catas.
CXRQ+6V Pilas de Fuente Soto
Iglesia de Ntra. Sra. de los Remedios (church)
A small temple built on the remains of a 16th century chapel dedicated to Santa Ana. Within this church, homage is paid to one of the most revered images in the town, Virgen de la Soledad, the work of Pedro de Mena, which was acquired in Granada in 1663. The portal, dated 1729, gives us access to the three-naved square ground plan. The chancel is covered by a beautiful dome, decorated with abundant plasterwork of complex leaf forms, work of Antonio Álvarez, as well as the main altar chapel. The altar chapel was gilded in 1744 by Francisco Ponce de León, ten years after its construction.
C/ Santa Ana, 1,Cabra
Las Hermanas de la Cruz Convent (Capuchin Convent)
The Sisters of the Holy Cross congregation has served in the convent since 1924. The convent consists of one single nave, a crossing and side chapels. Its construction dates back to the mid-seventeenth century, but it was completely rebuilt during the eighteenth century. The simple portal, which opens at the west end of the nave, belongs to the same period. Paintings that depict the Assumption, Saint Bonaventure, the Immaculate Conception, Saint Michael, Saint Benedict and the Jubilee of the Porziuncola are displayed on the main altarpiece. The title sculpture and the tabernacle are believed to date back to 1786.
C/Sor Ángela de la Cruz, 20,Écija
Ayuntamiento (Town hall)
A beautiful 18th century baroque building. Its most interesting feature is the moondial on its tower, constructed by Fernando de Tapia.
Plaza del Ayuntamiento, 1,Alcalá la Real
Santa Clara convent
Like many other convents, this community of Clarist nuns is well known for making and selling artisan sweets and pastries. Opening hours for purchasing sweets and pastries: Monday – Saturday: 10:00 AM until 1:30 PM / 4:00 PM until 6:30 PM Sunday: 11:00 AM until 1:00 PM.Products are sold in the museum area in the afternoon.
C/ Santa María de Gracia,Carmona
Although the Baena’s current location originates in the Moorish hisn (castle), then named Bayyana as documented in the 9th century, archaeologists have yet to unearth proof of Islamic, Emirate or Caliphate occupation. By means of pact, the Moors handed Baena over to Ferdinand III in 1241. This was the onset of a slow manorialism process, during which the fortress was erected. This construct would play a significant role, since it was on the same border as the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada. There are no reliable data with regard the Almedina’s walled structure construction, although some sections, such as the Arco de Consolación and the Arco Oscuro horseshoe entrance arches are reminiscent of Almoravid and Almohad architecture, respectively. The castle has survived until our times and is located on the west side of the Almedina enclosure, and resembles a 14th or 15th century Christian construction. It is currently in a state of ruin as a consequence of the demolition carried out during the 20th century. However, Baena town council initiated a project that will recover most of the fortress. Archaeological excavations discovered several room structures linked to its last occupation (late 19th century/ early 20th century). Several doors were also uncovered; […]
18th century construction. Town’s granary, court, recruitment centre, former hospital and current retirement home and tourist information centre. Only the patio is open to the public. This space has had a long and eventful life. At the start of the 16th century, it was a brothel and tavern. In 1608, the brothel moved to the outskirts of the town and it became a theatrical courtyard. When theatrical performances were prohibited in 1731, the local government acquired the property to build the Pósito granary. After being a granary, courts, military recruitment centre and a hospital, a retirement home is currently housed there. However, its initial purpose was to be a granary. As the façade’s console states, the building was concluded in 1779.
Iglesia de San Martín y Convento de Madres Agustinas (church)
This building is not only one of the most grandiose of Cordoban baroque architecture, it is also one of the most original. Its oval-shaped floor plan and octagonal dome are really outstanding. Inside it boasts a spectacular altarpiece. Its a convent for Agustinian nuns. Baroque trail. 18th century.
Plaza Llanete de San Agustín,Lucena