Puente Genil would not exist if it were not for the river which gives it its name, and which, since time began, has played a significant role in the whole area.
Puente Genil’s origin lies in the union between two towns. One, Ponton de Don Gonzalo, was founded in Ferdinand III’s times under the charge of the tycoon, Gonzalo Yañez Dovinar and was sited on the right-hand side of Genil riverbank (the Córdoba side). The other was the small settlement called Barrio de Miragenil, located on the opposite bank, belonging to the province of Seville.
The two towns became united during the regency of Maria Cristina (1834), creating Puente Genil as we know it today. The town currently has 30.000 inhabitants.