The monastery was founded in 1487 and has belonged to the Franciscan Clarist congregation since its origins. Isabel Cherino, widow of Luis Pernía, Osuna’s mayor, was a devout Catholic and helped found the monastery by donating large sums of money to the convent in her will in 1505.
The convent’s most important benefactors include Queen Isabella of Castile, who chose to stay at the convent while she collected funds for the Granada War, Empress María of Austria, Infanta Isabella Clara Eugenia and the town council, all of whom left generous legacies. Furthermore, the town council financially supported the nuns on several occasions, given the catastrophes that occurred, such as the fire of 1622 and the Genil floods in 1626, when the nuns lost part of the convent.
The church consists of one single nave, which is accessed via the two side portals on the Gospel side. The church’s interior is decorated with yeseria plasterwork and paintings that allude to Marian mysteries and Franciscan scenes. The architectural complex corresponds to the first quarter of the seventeenth century and reflects local artistic influence. It was, after all, the Ecijan master builders who planned the composition of such a significant building.
The nuns who live in the convent make typical cakes and pastries, such as tocino de cielo (egg yolks and sugar), flores de miel (honey-drenched flower-shaped pastries), roscos fritos (fried ring-shaped pastries), torrijas (bread pudding only available around Easter), as well as their other tasks. All sweets and pastries are made upon order.