Catalina de Perea founded the hospital in 1514, in one of her properties close to the Santiago church. Although its origins date back to the 16th century, the building underwent extensive restoration between the 18th and 20th centuries. In addition to its beautiful church, the hospital’s central patios are remarkable. The entrance to the patio displays a two-storey arcade; the lower level is the older of the two with 16th-century Mudejar pillars. This open area displays wonderful carpentry on the doors and the screen that leads to the dining room. The latter was created in the 18th century and would have featured wonderful panels, rocailles and Jesuit emblems, which are no longer present. The Dormitorios de Ancianos, or the Elders’ Rooms, are also notable and comprise a lofty, barrel-vaulted nave with false lunettes.
C/ Ponce de León, 2, Utrera