The church was founded between 1353 and 1383 and belonged to Saint Dominic’s Order of Preachers until its expulsion. The church subsequently adopted ordinary jurisdiction and the Order returned and took possession of the church in around 1970, but was compelled to close for worship years later. Since 2004, the church and adjoining outbuildings were ceded to the Workers of the Kingdom of Jesus Christ congregation. This convent was extremely popular among the town’s noblemen.
The church is renowned for its beautiful Baroque portal, decorated with tiles that perfectly introduce the exceptional, architecturally sound colouristic atrium. The tower —left unfinished by the Dominicans— is neoclassical and consists of only one section.
The church has a rectangular floor plan, three naves and a crossing. The central nave is covered by a wonderful, traditional Mudejar artesonado ceiling associated with Diego López de Arenas circa 1600. The Virgen del Rosario chapel was erected in the mid-eighteenth century, and was inaugurated in 1761, the same year that the tower was constructed.
The main altarpiece was created in 1717 and gilded in 1724. A sculpture of Our Lady of Peace appears in the central panel and the side panels display Dominican Saints of the same period as the retablo.
Construction of the tower started in the second half of the eighteenth century but halted before the first section of bells was completed. The structure is reminiscent of the classicist style.
Plaza de Santo Domingo ,Écija