The Public Market (Former Convent of Saint Francisco) is located in Osuna’s Plaza Mayor. In the 19th century, it was moved to the cloisters belonging to the ancient Madre de Dios convent of Franciscan friars, founded in Osuna in 1531.
In 1504, Inés Chirino, widow of the mayor, Luis Pernía, donated the Madre de Dios Church, part of the houses inhabited by the clergy of the Order of St Francis, so they could found convents. Subsequently, in 1551, it became one of the first major Educational Institutions of the province thanks to the existence of the Ancient University of Osuna and falling under the protection of the Dukes of Osuna. Finally, after the building collapsed in 1943, the main altarpiece was acquired by the Franciscan monks of San Buenaventura in Seville in around 1945.
Today, it is the site of the Mercado de Abastos (wholesale market), with only the cloisters remaining, which is where the different stalls are situated. The sculptures, belongings and brotherhoods of Saint Francisco are found distributed among Osuna’s churches.
The stalls in the market predominantly include fish, meat, fruit, vegetables and local products such as 1881 Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It is also possible to find a florists, haberdashery, as well as bars for breakfast and snacks, and a shopping mall offering the sale of clothes, shoes, accessories, etc.
Plaza de Abastos, Osuna