Parroquia Jesús de Nazareno, early Hermitage named after St Christopher was located on a small hill outside of the town’s walls, and is today located within the town itself.
Its origin dates back to the second half of the 16th century and, in addition to an image of St Christopher, it also contains the image of Our Father Jesus of Nazareth, Patron Saint of the Villa, an image that dates back to 1622.
The early building has undergone various transformations over the centuries, the most notable being those carried out in 1824 by brother José Atanasio de Rivas y Gálvez and in the last quarter of the 19th century, around 1880, in which the transept we see today was incorporated and the new altarpiece was added which was made from Carrara marble in Malaga by the sculptor, Casanova. The portico was added in 1900, giving the early Hermitage, now church, its final form.
Inside the building, the altarpiece of the Virgen de los Dolores (Our Lady of Sorrows) stands out from the second half of the 18th century. It was made by the aforementioned Pedro de Mena and is the only Rococo style altarpiece in Puente Genil, it has two wonderful sculptures of St John the Baptist and Mary Magdalene. It houses an interesting collection of paintings which are spread among the recesses of the church’s nave and represent different scenes of la Pasión. These large paintings are the work of 19th century painters Juan Montilla and José Muñoz Contreras, both from Puente Genil. Some of them are copies of famous paintings such as ‘Pasmo de Sicilia’ (Christ Falling on the Way to Calvary) by Rafael de Urbino or the ‘Prendimiento del flamenco’ by Van Dyck, whose originals are in the Prado Museum in Madrid.
Plaza del calvario, puente genil