This church has received “Site of Cultural Interest” status. It has one single nave, a crossing, chapels between buttresses and a flat presbytery wall, behind which is the sacristy.
The church was inaugurated in 1614; however, the yeseria plasterwork that covers the interior was included in the eighteenth century. It is magnificently decorated with paintings and murals with polychromed and gilded yeseria and an excellent collection of paintings, sculptures and carpentry, which together with the eighteenth-century organ, make this church an emblem of Écija’s Baroque.
Ignacio Tomás created the portal that leads to the atrium, which is preserved from the disestablished Carmelites convent.
The main altarpiece was built between 1736 and 1739. It consists of two sections, with five aisles separated by columns and estipites, and an attic, and displays sculptures of Carmelite saints. The main niche opens onto a chamber, which displays an eighteenth-century sculpture of Our Lady of Mount Carmel; the Immaculate Conception appears in the attic and is from the same century. The crossing dome is decorated with exuberant plasterwork mouldings in geometric and plant-derived forms.
C/ La Marquesa, 12,Écija