The small chapel that was dedicated to San Antón in the 16th century used to be on the same site of the Inmaculada Concepción sanctuary. Due to the plague that swept across Andalusia in 1650, the town, then Pontón de Don Gonzalo, voted for the Immaculate Concepción to be their Patron. However, the church was inadequate given the Patron’s rank.
During the second half of the 18th century, the decision was made to build a church that was more appropriate for the Patron. Several houses on the calle Aguilar were bought for the extension. The church’s portal is the most impressive in Puente Genil, with its frontal platform and staircase closed off by a partition, double columns, broken pediment, etc. All of these elements are created with stone from Sierra Gorda and packed into a large niche.
Inside the church, the gypsum-sculpted, polychromed main altar is impressive. It is in imitation of coloured marble and is the work of Pedro de Mena Gutiérrez, from Lucena; the popular-style baroque plasterwork can be found throughout the church around large Corinthian pilasters. The elliptical dome is remarkable. It has plasterwork reproducing Marian motifs.
The 18th century chapel houses the image of the Patron, the Immaculate Conception, which dates back to the end of the 16th century. The Virgin is completely sculpted, but was prepared to wear robes some centuries ago.