This church is located in the centre of the Plaza de la Villa Vieja. It is of medieval origin and was built by the brothers of Calatrava over an ancient mosque. It was dedicated to Santa María de los Ángeles in 1241, when the town was conquered by Ferdinand III. The interior has five naves organised by two rows of semi-circular arches atop 44 red marble columns, covered by a vaulted ceiling. The main altarpiece, the work of Melchor de Aguirre, consists of red and black marble, and followed the project design by the revered architect, José Granados de la Barrera, from Cabra. The central niche houses the image of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción, a Granadan piece, created in 1693. The carved wooden choir and the organ found within it are also impressive.
Plaza de los Condes de Cabra, 4,Cabra