Baena’s Madre de Dios Dominican convent was erected in the heart of the Almedina, between the castle and the Santa María la Mayor church. It was founded in 1510. Its floor plan consists of a single nave and crossing with adjoining chapels covered by vaulted ceilings with lunettes.
The convent church has two doors to this vestibule; the first of which is of primitive stonework and is work of the Catholic Monarchs’ era. The other is more classical, of lesser merit and seems to date back to the 17th century. In addition to the painting that dominates the main altar, there are 64 paintings on the altarpiece, of which the two images in the lower area are attributed to the Bossanos studio and depict the Epiphany and Adoration of the Apostles. The choir, of plateresque decoration, is located at ground level. The seating is 16th century carved wood and is separated by baluster columns and lonic capitals, crowned by crenellation with busts of the apostles, saints, and fathers of the church.
C/ Arco de la Villa, 1,Baena