Baena’s History and Archaeology Museum is located in Casa de la Tercia house. Construction works on this building started in 1792, but were not concluded until 1795, according to the inscription found in the central patio. It was founded by the church to collect part of the ecclesiastic tithes and other income corresponding to the Crown.
In 1841, the Ecclesiastical Confiscations of Mendizabal abolished payments to the Church, meaning that the building was no longer used for its foreseen use. It therefore became privately owned.
At the start of the 20th century it was adapted and used as a shelter. During the Civil War, between 1936-1939, it was used as a prison.
From 1960, the town hall was the leaseholder of the property, until 1984 when it became part of the town’s heritage. The building was renovated in 2010 to house the museum.
The Museum’s collections include paleontologic remains, and especially archaeological remains from the Paleolithic era until the Middle Ages, passing through the Metal Ages, Orientalizing period.
C/ Santo Domingo Henares, 5,Baena