Puente Genil’s motto “donde el sol se hace dulce” (where the Sun sweetens everything), comes from the town’s world famous dulce de membrillo (quince jam), which has been exported since the end of the 19th century. Puente Genil is also famous for the area’s famous prize winning D.O. Montilla-Moriles wines; its excellent olive oil and varied, widely recognised preserves.
The church is housed inside the convent-school. It was built on the ancient castle’s remains, dating back to 1649. Found in the upper part of Barrio de la Villa quarter, and on what was once a castle-palace of the Dukes of Sessa and counts of Cabra. The church has a sober architectural design. Its main altarpiece attracts our attention as it features a collection of eight images; the central piece is by Juan de Valdés Leal.
Plaza de los Condes de Cabra, s/n,Cabra
Las Escolapias conventual church
We reach Santiago barrio from the peculiar calle Flores. It’s one of the towns oldest and most traditional neighbourhoods, where we can find Santiago parish church. Very close by is the Llano de las Tinajerías, an area where most of the potters workshops and local earthenware craftsmen were all located. Some are still open and can be visited.
Barrio de Santiago
16th century church. Reconstructed during the 17th and 18th centuries. It is currently closed to worship due to restoration. In 1531, the 4th Count of Ureña handed the ancient San Sebastian chapel and annexe hospital to the monks from the Order of Preachers to found a convent. It seems that the Count did this to show that he didn’t want the chapel to be demolished, he wanted it to be used by a new church. It was finally erected on 7 March 1547. Although it was built in the 16th century, several reforms were carried out during the 17th and 18th centuries.
Santo Domingo Church
Military Almohad bastion from the 12th century, renovated in the 14th century by the Order of Calatrava. It is located close to the Puerta de Teba, which formed part of the town’s defence system. There is a wide sample of remains found in the town: Iberian reliefs, amphorae, Roman glassware and coin collections. This tower, bastion of the belt of 12th century Almohad walls currently houses theArchaeology Museum. It is made up of four rooms organised over two floors. The archaeological remains from the ancient city of Urso and some reproductions are displayed here.
Torre del Agua tower – Archaeological museum
Pequeño oratorio, levantado en el siglo XVI, que alberga en su interior la imagen de un Ecce-Homo. Este enclave se configura como uno de los mejores ejemplos de religiosidad popular, raigambre y tradiciones, tan presentes en el día a día de los pueblos y ciudades de Andalucía. Aquí se iniciaba un Vía Crucis, que continuaba sus estaciones por el cerro de las Cruces y se concluía en la ermita de San Judas Tadeo, en donde se veneraba la imagen de Cristo Yacente.
La muestra de la Santería Lucentina está ubicada en la planta sótano de la Iglesia de San Pedro Mártir. En su interior se encuentran unas salas habilitadas al efecto, dedicadas a la Santería Lucentina y la forma particular de procesionar las Imágenes Sagradas. En ella, el visitante podrá conocer la Santería desde sus inicios, así como los elementos y protragonistas que la caracterizan. Es posible también admirar los tronos de los seis pasos de la Venerable Archicofradía de Nuestro Padre Jesús y una interesante colección de procesiones infantiles, de principios del siglo xx, entre otros. Puede visitarse también el templo en si, recientemente reconstruido y la Capilla de Ntro. Padre Jesús ubicada en su interior. Tras un largo tiempo en total reconstrucción en la que se ha recuperado su belleza original, la iglesia ha vuelto a abrir sus puertas, recuperando así su belleza interior y exterior. Dentro de esta destaca la Capilla de Jesús Nazareno, cuyo espacio principal, y más antiguo, cumple la función de camarín de la imagen titular, fue realizado por Vicente del Castillo y el cantero Andrés Cordón en 1758, formando un espacio circular de estilo neoclásico. En su interior contiene un baldaquino, que cobija la imagen […]
C/ Curados, 14, Lucena
Exposición permanente ‘La Santería una manera de sentir’, Lucena
The ancient Abbey Palace was reconstructed in 1781 by the Abbot Esteban Lorenza de Mendoza y Gatica, given the state of ruin of the original palace within the Fortaleza de la Mota. The new building was the end result of the aggregation of several structures, brought together by the single façade. This building was used until 1851, when the Abbey of Alcalá la Real was abolished. After years of uncertain future, it became the abbey archive and the home of the Archpriest of the Ecclesiastical Territory. Currently, and after years of restoration, the Abbey Palace is the headquarters of the Municipal Museum. This new museum was created to display, preserve and promote archaeological, ethnological, anthropological, paleontological and scientific exhibits organised into different display areas using the latest technologies.Through innovative means, the museum allows visitors to become better acquainted with Alcalá la Real’s heritage and traces of its past. It gives visitors the chance to have an overview of the town’s peculiarities, places of interest and its surrounds. Exhibition spaces: The flour room (dedicated to flour mill traditions), geology, minerals and fossils, Paleolithic, Neolithic, Copper and Bronze, Iberian world, Roman world, medieval, etc.
C/ Carrera de las Mercedes, 31, alcala la real, jaen
Abbey Palace – Municipal Museum
La Muestra de Arte Cofrade de la Soledad se ubica en la Iglesia de San Pedro,donde se encontraba la ermita dedicada a este santo. Su interior, donde aparecen las primeras yeserías barrocas de Priego, alberga imágenes titulares de varias cofradías del municipio, entre ellas, las imagenes titulares del Santo Entierro y Soledad Coronada. También puede verse una muestra del patrimonio litúrgico y cofrade de la Hermandad, junto a una reproducción de videos y fotografías de toda la Semana Santa prieguense.
Plaza San Pedro, s/n,Priego de Córdoba
Muestra de Arte Cofrade de la Soledad
El exconvento Franciscano alberga la muestra permanente de la Semana Santa de Puente Genil, promovida por la Agrupación de Cofradías, Hermandades y Corporaciones Bíblicas. La muestra alberga una simulación de vida de los cuarteles, con exposición de figura y cocinas típicas, así como una exposición de vídeos de la Semana Santa y su Cuaresma. En el recinto se podrá ver un video documental de los momentos más significativos en la Semana Santa de Puente Genil; encierros, salidas, momentos importantes para los costaleros, Diana al Patrón, Noche del Viernes Santo y las peculiaridades que hacen de la Semana Santa de Puente Genil algo único e irrepetible.
Contralmirante Delgado Parejo, 1, puente genil
Muestra de la Semana Santa de Puente Genil
El edifico anexo a la Iglesia de San Pedro Mártir de Verona fue el antiguo convento dominico fundado en 1575 por el obispo de Córdoba y en 1836 por el decreto de exclaustración pasó a formar parte de los Bienes Nacionales. En 1844 se subastó y pasó a la propiedad de Juan de Navas García. El edificio antes de pasar a la titularidad municipal fue fábrica de anises, molino de aceite y bodega. Conserva un espléndido patio manierista porticado con arcos de medio punto y columnas sobre basamento de pedestal. En su centro conserva una fuente rodeada de jardín y palmeras. Actualmente el edificio se ha rehabilitado y se convertirá en un centro público polivalente y de servicio ciudadano. El proyecto ha recuperado el patio central porticado y un segundo patio trasero como espacios verdes abiertos para el disfrute de todos los ciudadanos. El resto del edificio se diseña de manera versátil para diversos usos funcionales tales como exposiciones, docencia, usos sociales, reuniones, etc., con un total de 11 salas repartidas en las tres plantas.
C/ San Pedro, 50, Lucena
Casa de los Mora
The Vadomojón reservoir is one of the most important in the Andalusian basin. It has a capacity of 163 cubic hectometres and a surface area of 782 hectares and is located in the Albendín district,Baena. The reservoir is used to control the volume of water in the Guadajoz and Guadalquivir rivers. Some of the water is also used to irrigate the olive groves. There is a jetty and picnic area with a kiosk on the Vadomojón, as well as the installations used by the nautical club, with a pit for cleaning boats. The reservoir brings us into direct contact with the countryside and nature: the water separating the olive groves is one of its most appealing attributes. This almost virgin water is navigable, with nothing but nature for the eye to see: no buildings, electricity pylons or roads. Only nature can be heard. Vadomojón reservoir is not only a beautiful setting, it is also one of Córdoba’s most important recreational fishing locations, as it is home to large fish populations, among which are barbel, carp, black bass and trout. Nowadays, it is one of the most important fishing scenes in the province of Córdoba.
embalse de vadomojón, Baena
Aceites Florencio Aguilera, empresa familiar dedicada a la producción de aceites de alta calidad y que apuesta por el aceite temprano de variedad picual. Su almazara familiar se encuentra en la aldea La Hortichuela, a 12 km. de Alcalá la Real, en el pequeño municipio de Pilas de Fuente Soto. Se trata de un enclave en plena naturaleza, rodeada de un bosque de olivos y donde habitan familias tradicionalmente dedicadas al cultivo de los frutos de la tierra y la ganadería. Es aquí donde se encuentra el corazón de Aceites Florencio Aguilera. Ofrecen visitas a sus instalaciones y catas.
CXRQ+6V Pilas de Fuente Soto
Almazara Florencio Aguilera
Enrique de la Cuadra built the theatre in 1887, hence its current name. Utrera’s town council acquired the property in June 1985 and it became part of the Public Theatre rehabilitation programme ran by the Andalusian government’s Public and Cultural Works department. The architect Juan Ruesga Navarro was commissioned to undertake the renovation. Works were completed in 1993 and the theatre opened its doors to the public with one of the widest stages in Andalusia. It has an Italian horseshoe-shaped auditorium and a well-proportioned stage, which along with its other facilities, results in a lively space that promotes artistic and cultural activities in the town.
C/ Sevilla, s/n. Utrera,Utrera
Enrique de la Cuadra Theatre
Despite the square’s recent renovation, some of the neighbouring buildings preserve 17th- and 18th-century elements. In the past, Plaza del Altozano was the epicentre for the town’s cultural events, such as famous bullfights and the
plaza del altozano, Utrera
Plaza del Altozano
Construction of the former palace, which once belonged to the Valdehermosa counts and San Marcial marquises, began in the 17th century and considerable works were carried out in the 18th and 19th centuries. Its rococo portal dates to
Plaza de Gibaxa, 1. Utrera,Utrera
Town Hall: Former Vistahermosa Palace
This 18th-century Palace House is located on calle Rodrigo Caro in one of the town’s most picturesque settings. It has served as the town’s art centre since 1990. The façade consists of avitolado brickwork -characteristic of Seville’s Baroque- and is supported by large pilasters. The portal shelters under an impressive arch, flanked by columns at its base and estipites on the top tier. It is believed to date to 1725.
C/ Rodrigo Caro, 3. Utrera,Utrera
Casa de la Cultura Arts Centre
This landmark comprises a gateway, which once cut through the ancient Jewish quarter walls, and a street. The town’s main trading area once concentrated around this small spot, which later became a hospital. Some of the town’s historians hypothesize that this site became a house for foundlings, which is when it is believed to have taken on the name “El Niño Perdido” (the lost child). The town’s archaeological studies suggest that the passageway also served as a cemetery. Private houses and restaurants now currently occupy this area.
C/ Niño Perdido, Utrera,Utrera
El Niño Perdido Passageway
Construction of the church began in some of the houses donated by the Álvarez family. While the works were undertaken, the hospital housed the Virgin Mary sculpture, which was transferred to the completed church in 1747. The Sisters of the Holy Cross congregation currently occupies the church. Since the beginning of the century, the nuns have used the church for public worship, reserving a small oratory for private use. The church has an elliptical floor plan and is a rare and wonderful example of Sevillian Baroque, displayed through its architectural structure rather than highly decorative elements.
san fernando, 33, Utrera
Ntra. Sra. de los Dolores Church
The brotherhood built the chapel at the start of the 18th century (between 1719 and 1723) with the objective of displaying its sculptures for public worship. The chapel’s exterior displays a portal flanked by pilasters, surmounted by a broken entablature, straight pediment and tympanum, decorated with the Trinitarian shield. A belfry sits above it, comprising two sections, which decrease in size: the lower section has a slim opening and a lintel and straight pediment frame the upper section. The church has one single nave with a sacristy behind the main altar. Different types of roofing cover the various sections. The main retablo’s features are typical of the late 17th century and was acquired from the Friars Minor of Seville in the 18th century.
C/ Cristo de los Afligidos, 36,Utrera
Santísima Trinidad Chapel
Locals refer to the chapel as “the Jesús de Nazareno chapel”, which is part of the San Bartolomé Dominican convent. Bartolomé López de Marchena ordered and paid for its foundation in 1542 for the strengthening of the body and spirit. The chapel was built in the 17th century and important alterations were carried out in the second half of the 18th century. The portal’s design is a simple, lintel-based structure, which displays a frontispiece, flanked by pilasters and surmounted by a pediment that frames a tiled picture of the Nazarene. The portal provides access to a small church with a single rectangular nave covered by a barrel vault with lunettes and supporting arches, which sit upon a dentilled cornice. The Jesus Christ the Nazarene sculpture corresponds to the Seville school’s classic style of the late 16th century.
Av. San Juan Bosco, 10,Utrera
San Bartolomé Chapel
The chapel is part of the Salesian College, the oldest belonging to the congregation in Spain (circa 1885). The Salesian building housed within the chapel is noteworthy given its breadth, which stretches across the wide, expansive street, locally known as La Vereda. Although the building’s loftiness is horizontal, a series of belfries were added to bring it closer to the heavens. The chapel was built in the second half of the 17th century. It has a Latin-cross floor plan and a barrel vault ceiling, lunettes and supporting arches propped up by a cornice. Exceptional paintings decorate the chapel’s interior, which pertain to the transition from the 17th to the 18th century: the apogee of the Seville school of mural painting.
Av. San Juan Bosco, 13. Utrera,Utrera
Ntra. Sra. del Carmen Chapel
The Jesuits built the church in 1645 and the Franciscans occupied it from 1797. During the Franciscan period, the complex underwent considerable renovations to adapt to the material and spiritual needs imposed by the Order. The church was abandoned from the second half of the 19th century until the 1920s. The nave’s architecture displays influence from the Early Renaissance, typical of Hernán Ruiz. Beautiful mid-18th century paintings decorate the church and its most striking feature is the dome, which displays a tremendous vision of the resurrection of Saint Francis.
C/ Virgen de Consolación, 1. Utrera,Utrera
San Francisco Church
A fortified wall once surrounded Utrera, which had several gateways into the citadel. Many of them did not survive until the present day, while others are now small archaeological remains. The best preserved is undoubtedly the Arco de la Villa arch, which continues to represent the end of Utrera’s historic centre and the start of the town’s surrounding neighbourhoods.
Final Calle San Fernando, Utrera
Arco de la Villa Arch
The castle is located in the north-east of the town. It sits atop a small hill, and is very close to the Santiago el Mayor parish church. Seville council built the castle over the remains of an ancient Moorish minaret. Alfonso X (the Wise) cited the castle in 1264. In 1368, it was destroyed by Muhammed V of Granada and was later rebuilt at the end of the 14th century. It was abandoned at the end of the 15th century until the present day, and has recently been restored. Its floor plan is rectangular, fitting the topography of the hill at the north-east and south-east of the castle. It has four square towers, which are smaller at the corners on the inside of the walled precinct. Each has a rectangular floor plan and are wider at the north-eastern and south-eastern sides where they adapt to the escarpment. The outer towers and curtain walls were built using the rammed-earth technique. The difference in design could be because the external towers would have acted as buttresses as some have fully collapsed. On the escarped north-east face stands a round-arch opening entrance, defended by the Torre del Homenaje tower, an edifice with a […]
C/ Ponce de León, 13, Utrera,Utrera
Catalina de Perea founded the hospital in 1514, in one of her properties close to the Santiago church. Although its origins date back to the 16th century, the building underwent extensive restoration between the 18th and 20th centuries. In addition to its beautiful church, the hospital’s central patios are remarkable. The entrance to the patio displays a two-storey arcade; the lower level is the older of the two with 16th-century Mudejar pillars. This open area displays wonderful carpentry on the doors and the screen that leads to the dining room. The latter was created in the 18th century and would have featured wonderful panels, rocailles and Jesuit emblems, which are no longer present. The Dormitorios de Ancianos, or the Elders’ Rooms, are also notable and comprise a lofty, barrel-vaulted nave with false lunettes.
C/ Ponce de León, 2, Utrera
Santa Resurrección Hospital
Tiene su origen en 1578 por la fundación que hicieron don Francisco Álvarez de Bohórquez y su esposa Catalina de Coria y Maldonado, a condición de que aceptaran a 12 monjas sin dotes, ligadas por parentesco a ellos. Alberga actualmente una comunidad de monjas Carmelitas en régimen de clausura calzado. El conjunto arquitectónico se remonta al siglo XVI, aunque sufre posteriormente continuas reformas. El interior de la Iglesia, de nave única sigue el modelo típico de los conventos de clausura de la provincia, de reminiscencia medieval. A los pies del templo, en su último tramo reservado a la clausura, cuenta con un doble coro. Destacan en el conjunto sus retablos y el altar Mayor de mediados del siglo XVIII, dorado con elementos vegetales superpuestos incluso sobre los estípites que separa las tres calles que lo forman. En su obrador elaboran sus especialidades de bizcocho casero, almendrados y sultanas, que están a la venta a través de su torno.
C/ Ponce de León, 13,Utrera
Convento Madres Carmelitas
The sanctuary is an artistic and historic monument located outside the town centre. It is accessed via a wide path, surrounded by the Parque de Consolación park. The sanctuary is the final destination for many of the town’s pilgrimages and houses the beautiful sculpture of Our Lady of Consolation, Utrera’s patron. It formed part of a Minim Friars convent, which was founded at the end of the 16th century. However, much of the current church’s structure is 17th century and it was completed in 1714. Although the church’s interior displays a Neo-Mudejar style, partly due to its artesonado ceilings’ characteristics, alternating Marian emblems and Christian legends feature, which extol the glory of the Virgin Mary. The sanctuary has one single nave with a crossing, rendered walls and pillar supports. The main chapel is square with a wooden artesonado ceiling, decorated with Mudejar interlace patterns. A large Baroque retablo, dedicated to the image of Our Lady of Consolation, covers the nave’s front.
Paseo de Consolación, 41710 Utrera,Utrera
The parish church is an artistic and historic monument, which lies in close proximity to Utrera’s castle and fortress. It is an edifice of staggering proportions and displays proof of the change in architectural styles over time. The current church is Gothic, pertaining to the late 18th century. Its model is very similar to the first churches built following the Conquest. It is clearly defensive in character, as observed through the arrow slits featured on the tower-façade and the thickness of its walls. It is a hall church, known artistically by the German name “Hallenkirche”. It has a uniform, rectangular floor plan, separated into three naves by vaulting shafts and covered with an extremely beautiful sexpartite vault or tiercerons of uniform elevations. The ribs of the vault rise from pillars in the centre and corbels at sides of the church. The naves were later completed with a Renaissance dome and Baroque and neoclassical chapels. The main façade, depressed and sheltered within a basket-handle arch, is on the west end of the church, from which the three-sectioned stone and brick tower sprouts.
ponce de leon, 13, Utrera
Santiago El Mayor Parish Church
The church is an artistic and historic monumental complex. It is the tallest building and most important church in the town. The church is of staggering proportions and is located in a magnificent setting among ancestral houses. The original construction is 15th-century Gothic, however important Renaissance-style renovations were subsequently added, the most noteworthy being those to the Puerta del Perdón, which is one of the most beautiful examples of this style in Andalusia.
C/ Antonio Maura, s/n,Utrera
Santa María de la Mesa Church
This chapel dates back to 1613. It is small in stature because construction works were never concluded. It houses an 18th century Baroque altarpiece, work of local artist Pedro de Mena Gutiérrez. It consists of a hemispherical ceilin
C/ Aguilar,61, puente-genil
La Veracruz Chapel
The construction of this chapel was concluded in 1589, thanks to Juan Alvarez Esquire, who donated an orchard to the Dulce Nombre de Jesús brotherhood. The church has a single nave, covered by barrel vault
C/ La Huerta,puente-genil
Dulce Nombre Chapel
A factory producing flour, olive oils and soap. It was built in 1904 by Antonio Baena Delgado. It has been completely renovated and was converted into a hotel.
Avenida de la Estación, Puente Genil
‘Nuestra Señora del Carmen’ factory
A collection of 800 objects and pieces from the 19th and 20th centuries. The idea for this collection was conceived from recovering objects, tools, customs and traditions associated with life in the country. However, d
C/ Fernán Pérez, 9,puente-genil
Jose Díaz Arroyo Ethnographic Collection
This is Puente Genil’s most significant monument, since it is linked to the town’s foundation. It is our most emblematic monument because it symbolises the union of two river banks in 1834, giving rise to the Puente Genil we know tod
La Parroquia Jesús de Nazareno, primitiva Ermita que con la denominación de San Cristóbal se encontraba en un pequeño cerro extramuros de la Villa, hoy día se encuentra integrada en el casco de la población. Su origen data de la segunda mitad del siglo X
Plaza del calvario, puente genil
Parroquia de Jesús Nazareno
Roman Villa from the 1st to 4th centuries AD The villa is remarkable due to its extremely interesting mosaics, some of which are the most important figurative and geometric mosaics in Spain.
Fuente Álamo Roman Villa
It was created in 1982 and is found inside the La Victoria convent. It displays archaeological materials taken from sites in and around Puente Genil, such as Los Castellares, Anzur Castle, Fuente Alamo, etc. The museum has two sectio
C/ Contralmirante Delgado Parejo, 2,puente-genil
Municipal Archaeology Museum
The small chapel that was dedicated to San Antón in the 16th century used to be on the same site of the Inmaculada Concepción sanctuary. Due to the plague that swept across Andalusia in 1650, the town, then Pontón de Don Gonzalo
C/ Madre de Dios, 2,puente-genil
La Concepción sanctuary
The Santiago parish church was built in around 1600 for the area Miragenil, which was starting to form on the riverbank, belonging to the march of Estepa. The church therefore
PLAZA SANTIAGO, 21,puente-genil
Santiago parish church
This is Puente Genil’s oldest church and was its only parish church until the second half of the 20th century. Its original location would have been due to the first repopulation that occurred in the second half of the 13th century.
C/ Don Gonzalo, 18,puente-genil
La Purificación parish chapel
One of Puente Genil’s most interesting industrial buildings is next to the river Genil and the avenue. This building is one of the most emblematic in the town given that it started as a flour factory and some years later went on to g
plaza nacional, Puente Genil
‘La Alianza’ flour and electricity factory
This parish church was built as a chapel for the Industrias de Nuestra Señora del Carmen in 1917 to cover the spiritual needs of the Estación neighbourhood. It became a parish church in 1954. The
Av. de la Estación, 62,puente-genil
Nuestra Señora del Carmen parish church
The convent’s construction started in 1649 in a place known as the Cruz de Berral, a street that linked the calle Luna with calle Aguilar. Francisco Gil de Melgar, a local man from Puente Genil, a canon of Seville’s cathedral church
C/ Aguilar,1, puente-genil
La Asunción former convent
The origin of this chapel is due to the 1780 flood. Some children were playing on the riverbank and saw a plank of wood being swept along the river. A swallow flew and rested on the plank. They went to save it and
CALLE FERIA, puente-genil
Señor del Río chapel
Since the end of the 16th century, there were wishes for Puente Genil to found a San Francisco de Paula convent. However, it was not until the second half of the 17th century that the lady of the town, the Marchioness of Pr
CONTRALMIRANTE DELGADO PAREJO,puente-genil
La Victoria former convent
Anzur castle is a modest castle located on one of the hillocks close to Puente Genil. Only the watchtower is preserved – a large tower with small view points, whose silhouette can be seen from several points throughout the
castillo anzur, Puente Genil
This building was constructed in 1897, commissioned by Antonio López, known as Palomo, to create a new café. The master builder, Rodrigo García, was in charge of the construction. He is the author of many buildings in Puent
Plaza Nacional, 6,puente-genil
Casino Liceo Mercantil
Baroque palace. The main portal has two coats of arms. This building has had many names over the years, but it is most commonly known as the Casa de la Mayordomía Ducal, having been the home of the administrator of the Duke of Medina
C/ Don Gonzalo,26, puente genil